Support your favorite charities — forever (effective altruism)
Give For Good is a non-profit charity donation platform that invests your donations in green and social stocks. Every year, the charities you choose get the interest — forever! This way, every one-time donation by you becomes a stable source of recurring income for the charity.
Charities need your support
It is 2023 and many of the world’s greatest challenges remain:
- 1 billion people in the world live on < 1 dollar per day
- 274,000 children die every year from malaria
- >60% of girls from rural areas do not attend secondary school
- 64% of all rainforest is destroyed or degraded
- 30,000 species are driven to extinction every year
Dozens of charities to choose from
Give For Good is a non-profit charity donation platform that helps you donate in a smarter, more effective way. How we do it? Each donation you make via Give For Good is invested in social and green stocks. Every year we transfer the interest on the investment to the charity you choose. This way, the charity gets a stable, annual income, forever, all because of your one-time donation!
"This is why we are called Give For Good: we help you create positive impact that continues forever!"
4 easy steps
How it works
You make a donation to a charity via Give For Good. You choose the charity + the amount.
We invest your donation in ethical, sustainable and social investment funds. Your invested donation generates a profit.
Every year, we transfer the profits to the charity. These transfers keep going forever. They even become bigger every year.
You do good
The result: a stable, annual, growing income for your favorite charity that goes on forever.
Bonus: double impact
If Give For Good had been founded 100 years earlier (in 1920) and you had donated an amount to charity in that year via Give For Good, then the charity would have received the following amounts:
- after 9 years: your original donation
- after 50 years: more than 6 times your original donation
- after 100 years: more than 25 times your original donation! All because of your one-time donation a century earlier!
These numbers have already been corrected for inflation, so they constitute real value increases.
Figure 1. Amount of money that would have been transferred to charity, if Give For Good had been founded 100 years earlier (in 1920), and you had invested $10 for a charity in that year via Give For Good.
4 major benefits
Donating via Give For Good is great way to donate because:
Transparency is how we work
Frequently asked questions
The support continues forever: it is a gift that keeps on giving! The charity receives interest on your donation every year, even when you have just made a one-time donation.
Give For Good is a non-profit foundation, registered with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce under number 77769996. You can read more about our foundation on this page.
To cover our costs, we ask a % of the interest on the donations that we invest for donors. This is on purpose a % of the interest, and not of the donation itself. This way, we only get money if the charities get money!
Legally, we can never ask more than 10% of the interest. At the moment, we ask 5%. Our long-term goal is that this will become 0%. Just like to any other charity, people can donate to us. We hope that in time, these donations will be enough to cover our costs.
Suppose: you invest $ 100 for your favorite charity and that in the first year there is a 10% interest (so amounting to $10). Then:
- $ 4.75 is transferred to the charity for which you invested the donation
- $ 4.75 is added to the original $ 100. As a result, next year’s interest is made not on $ 100, but on $ 104.75! This way, the charity gets a little bit more support every year.
- $ 0.50 is transferred to us at Give For Good to cover our operational costs
There are two big reasons for Give For Good to invest in stocks:
- The average interest is higher. The average inflation-corrected interest on stocks in the past 150 years was 7,0% per year, while the average on government bonds was 2,3%. Interest on savings accounts is commonly even lower.
- Long-term, investing in stocks is safer, with less risk than bank savings or bonds. Many people think that saving and bonds are safer than investing in stocks. This is true, but only in the short term. If you invest for longer than five years, stocks are less risky than bonds. And saving at a bank can be safe, but only if it is accompanied by bankruptcy protection from the government, which only exists for individuals and not for organizations like us.
It is possible to invest in stocks safely and with a reliable interest. To achieve this, you have to follow two rules:
- invest in many businesses at the same time
- hold those investments for a long time
By holding to these two rules, we know the interest on the donations will move to the average interest on all stocks combined: 7.0% per year.
How do we know this? By studying more than 150 years of stock market history. Read more here!
We encourage people to do both: support charities now AND support their futures. When you support charities directly, they will spend your money directly. The difference with Give For Good is that with us, your one-time donation results in a stable income for the charity year in, year out. Many charities are not allowed to invest money like this themselves as a source of income (only as a reserve), because of government regulations. Also, practically, they generally do not offer the option to label your donation as an investment. That is why Give For Good exists!
What people say about Give For Good
Donate now to your favorite charity via Give For Good and we will make it something special: a gift that keeps on giving. Join the hundreds of other donors and your one-time donation will become an investment that generates interest for your favorite charity every year, forever!
Or click on one of the links below to get more information about several special forms of donating and about how to join Give For Good as a charity: